Monday 23 March 2020

Making Plans

The world is a strange (and slightly scary) place at the moment. So, to try to stay positive, I am making some plans for when we move to our new house. Obviously, the repairs to the house will have to be our first priority. Other than that, I'm thinking about what we could do in the garden. As we will be in a more rural area, I want to make the most of it. (I have lived in a town all my life, so I'm really looking forward to being somewhere more rural!)

Firstly, we will have to leave a relatively large area as lawn, so my son can run around, ride his scooter etc. and generally have space to play. The garden is a fair size, so this shouldn't be a problem. We will also need to remove the bath/pond!

Secondly, I'd like to plant some trees (and shrubs). Trees are massively important! They are good for the environment, will provide some shade, good for wildlife and I really like them. I might order some from the Woodland Trust shop. So far, I'd like:

  • Holly (really pretty and reminds me of Christmas)
  • Fruit trees (so we can grow our own fruit) - probably apple, pear, maybe plum, blueberry bushes and raspberries.
  • Hawthorn and maybe Rowan (pretty and good for wildlife) 
Lastly, I think I'd like vegetable patch and maybe a herb garden. I've never grown vegetables successfully, but I'd really like to do it properly. I'd love to have loads of different vegetables from the garden to make meals with....I'm a little concerned that growing vegetables that are actually edible is going to be tricky.

I feel I should point out, I'm not really a gardener. In fact, it's only in the last couple of years I've started to appreciate having a garden. The only bit of gardening I have done is cut a few branches off of a hugely overgrown Budlia and planted a small tree.

This will be a learning curve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creeping towards autumn

 I know it's still July, so essentially still the middle of summer, but it feels almost autumnal at the moment. It's chilly (I'v...