Tuesday 23 August 2022

Early Autumn?

The blackberries are out, the leaves are starting to change colour, acorns are starting to fall, which all suggests that autumn is beginning! I love autumn. I've seen various things on social media and news articles recently saying that autumn has started early, or that we are seeing a 'false autumn' as a result of the recent heatwaves and generally due to climate change. Obviously, any effects of climate change (or climate breakdown) are very worrying, and I am in no way denying that this is a major issue of our time and is a result of our careless distruction of the planet (I won't go into a rant about this here).

But, isn't it nearly autumn anyway? And if it is starting a little earlier, maybe that's because all the other seasons are starting at different times now too (still as a result of climate change)? Saying it's a 'false autumn' suggests that there may be another, true autumn later in the year. But we are coming towards the end of what is traditionally considered summer, and it has been a very hot summer. So, isn't it just the beginning of autumn, maybe a couple of weeks earlier than ususal? These are just my thoughts on the matter, and may well be completely wrong. Also, autumn is my favourite season, so maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

It's still a bit too hot (for me), and I realise that some people love the summer and enjoy the heat, longer daylight hours etc. And some people find the autumn and winter difficult - changes is amount of daylight, it gets a bit colder etc. But I love that! I hope it is that autumn is starting a little earlier this year, and I hope it gets a bit cooler soon. (I also hope that it's not too late to fix the damage we have done to the world.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creeping towards autumn

 I know it's still July, so essentially still the middle of summer, but it feels almost autumnal at the moment. It's chilly (I'v...